How to FIND... Statistics
- Search TIPS & Keywords
- Web: .gov
- Web: non-.gov
To locate statistical information in databases and on the Web, use words that
concepts with key
terms such as data, statistic or percent.
|advertising and "energy drink"
|college and athlete and "time
|musician* and social network*
Add Date Limits
If you need statistics within a date range then specify or limit the dates.
example, when searching the Web include the dates in your search query, such as (2013, 2014, 2015 and/or 2016).
Most databases and the advanced search in search engines allow you to limit to specific dates.
Locate Authoritative Web Sites & Government Statistics
Search for and restrict
results to government and association or organization fact sheets, which usually include statistics and often reference primary sources, such as original
research or studies.
Limit to domain .gov for government sites or add association or organization to
your keyword terms.
Use keywords that describe your topic
|your topic 1 AND topic 2
association or organization
|children and diabetes
||"Drug Enforcement Agency"
||"National Football League"
|college and athlete and "time management"
||association or organization
See Key Points: Search Strategies for use of quotation marks, the asterisk and other search tips.
Statistics - Books & ebooks
Find Books in the Reference Collection
Inquire at the Reference Desk for help finding books that contain data, charts and statistics.
Find Books and ebooks in
the Library Catalog
Use the subject field and type statistics (shown below) or
similar term. Browse the subject indexes or add descriptive keywords to narrow the results. Then, select one or mark several statistic
subjects from the list. Browse and select a title. View Subjects: Statistics.
Find Statistical ebooks in ebrary
Search or browse ebrary:
- Drill down through the ebrary subjects and try adding a keyword like "statistics."
- View ebooks for Subjects:
- Click Advanced Search and change Search in from Text and Key Fields to Subject. Type a subject in the text field and click search.
Statistics - Journals/ Articles
How to Find Statistical Journals, Trade Publications, etc.
Use the ORU
A-to-Z Journals List and try a title keyword or advanced search
View titles list for Statistics,
Statistical 140+ journal Titles
How to Find Articles with Statistics
Select appropriate databases and use descriptive, relevant keywords.
the search below could be used to find articles with statistics, data, or facts on the topic of the wisdom
How to Find Religion
Websites with Statistics or Data
a list of selective statistical web sites with abstracts, go to the ATLA
Religion Database, limit the Publication Type to multimedia, type keyword statistic* as
shown below. (Note: Publication type "multimedia" includes Websites, though not all mayl be open access, and file and recording indexing.)
Statistics on the Web: .gov Sites
- Find statistics by searching government Web sites, association or organization Web sites, and statistical sites. Use Web portals to identify additional sites with statistics.
- Government Statistics
- Fedstats: Gateway
to Statistics from 100+ U.S. Federal Agencies
- Provides full text statistical statements on current social,
economic, political, health, and environmental issues and public policy topics.
on Aging: Statistics (Dept. of Health & Human Services)
FactFinder (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Population, housing, industry, economic, and geographic data.
of Economic Analysis (U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- National, international, and regional data.
of Justice Statistics (U.S. Dept. of Justice)
- Statistics about crimes, victims, offenders, prosecution, etc.
of Labor Statistics
- • American Time Use Survey Charts (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
"provides nationally representative estimates of how, where, and with whom Americans spend their time...from childcare to volunteering."
- • Databases, Tables & Calculators by Subject (U.S. Dept. of Labor) - Employment statistics, wages, living and
working conditions, economic statistics, productivity and technology. Publications includes
- • Spotlight on Statistics- Comprehensive data on a variety of topics such as:
- Browse the Archive list
2014 - Occupations | Housing
2013 - Media and Information | Foreign-born workers in the U.S. labor force
2012 - Fashion | The Recession of 2007-2009
- 2011 - Automobiles | School's
Out | Women at Work
- 2010 - Food for Thought | Back
to College | Travel
- Cancer.gov: Statistics
for Disease Control and Prevention: Data and Statistics
The official web site of the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics.
Population Survey (Bureau of Labor Statistics & Census Bureau)
- Drug Enforcement Administration: Statistics & Facts
Drug Fact Sheets
- Education Publications (ED Pubs)
6,000+ free titles (brochures, posters, research reports, videotapes and more)
Bureau of Prisons: Quick Facts (U.S. Dept. of Justice)
Revenue Service: Tax Stats (U.S. Dept. of Treasury)
about individuals, business taxpayers, tax exempt organizations
Center for Education Statistics (U.S. Department of Education Institute of Education Sciences) http://nces.ed.gov/
- - Fast Facts
- - Digest of Education Statistics - "Statistical information covering the broad field of American
education from prekindergarten through graduate school."
Agricultural Statistics Service (U.S. Dept. of Agriculture)
also historical data
Center for Health Statistics (CDC-Center for Disease Control)
- PSID: A National Study of Socioeconomics and Health Over Lifetimes and Across Generations http://psidonline.isr.umich.edu/Guide/FAQ.aspx?Type=2
- QuickFacts (U.S. Census Bureau)
- "Quick, easy access to facts about people, business, and geography."
- U.S. Census Bureau (U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- UNdata (global statistics)
- Includes: 1) Databases and tables covering Crime, Education, Energy, Environment, Finance, Food and Agriculture, Health, HIV/AIDS, Human Development, Indication Database,
Industry, Population, Refugees, Trade, and more); 2) Updates; and 3) Country data services. More
- Information on history, people, government,
transportation, communications, economy,geography, military, and transnational
issues for 266 world entities.
Statistics on the Web: non-.gov sites
Statistical Abstract of the U.S. Online ProQuest
- Addiction Treatment Statistics" by Recovery Connectin®
Association of Religion Data Archive
easy-to-use tool for investigating U.S. demographic trends, brought to you by the Social
Science Data Analysis Network (SSDAN) at the Univ. of Michigan."
- Divorce Statistics Collection
on divorce and children of divorce.
- The Gallup Organization
Polls on social issues, ethics, values, etc. Try a general search for education.
traffic, usage, demographics, e-commerce, and more.
For example, on the pull down menu, choose "Full
toolbox" then scroll to "Teen and Young Adult
- Pew Research Center
- Numbers, Facts and Trends Shaping Your World. Categories include: U.S. Politics, Media & News, Social & Demographic Trends, Religion, Internet & Tech, Hispanics, and Global.
(National Center for Victims of Crimes)
child abuse, corrections, cost of crimes, domestic
terrorism, etc. http://www.ncvc.org/resources/statistics/
of Criminal Justice Statistics (Bureau of
on all aspects of criminal justice in the
- UNESCO's Institute for Statistics (U.N. Organization for Education, Science and Culture)
- Fact Sheets
- WHO Statistical Information System
and health-related statistics from
Web Portals & Other Resources
for Finding Statistics
ipl2: Statistics | Facts
Statistics and Statistical Graphics Resources
collection of links to resources