- Evidence-Based Care Sheets
- Quick Lessons (QL)
Use these to find articles, essays,
book reviews, conference papers and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Some databases may include book chapters.
- Academic Search Complete
- AHFS Consumer Medication Information
- BioMedCentral Open Access
- Breast Cancer Searchable Information Center (ebrary, open access)
- Fact sheets, posters, and other materials from government agencies and other authoritative sources.
Plus with Full Text
Tutorials: Basic Searching (4 mins.) | Advanced Searching (4.39 mins.)
- H1N1 (Influenza) Searchable Information Center (ebrary, open access)
- Includes PDF documents from government agencies and other authoritative sites.
- Health Sciences Sage
Tutorials: Quick Search | Advanced Search
- Health Source: Consumer
- Health Source:
Tutorials: Basic Search | Advanced Search
- MEDLINE with
- MEDLINE FirstSearch
- PubMed Central Open Access
- PsycINFO ProQuest
- ScienceDirect Databases
- Provides the full text of
1,860+ journals related to health & life sciences, physical sciences, and social & behavioral sciences. More...
& Life Sciences ScienceDirect
with Full Text
Click the to link to the vendor's database descriptions.
|OneSearch - The EBSCO Integrated Search Interface
|Nursing - ORU Library Catalog
Use a variety of ways to search for materials in the library catalog. For example, try the subject search or medical subject search, key in a broad topic such as "nursing," and then drill down through the topics. Using subject and medical subjects can help focus your search.
look for items in a specific location or format, such as ebooks or DVD's, use the View Entire Collection drop menu.
|Nursing - Reference Materials
- Credo Reference: NURSING
Map example: Florence
Browse Topic Pages by category: Medicine
Browse book titles by subject.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Click the link above > click the proceed button > select from
the title list (pdf). More
- Titles include:
- • Drugs,
Alcohol, and Tobacco: Learning about Addictive Behavior, 3 vols., 2003
of Bioethics, 3rd ed., 5 vols.
of Drugs, Alcohol & Addictive Behavior, 2nd ed., 4 vols., 2001
of Public Health, 4 vols., 2002
and Well-Being A to Z, 2 vols., 2004
In the Library
the Reference Collection, LRC-4th floor.
Most nursing books are found in the WY call number section.
Helpful resources, such as nursing drug books, nursing dictionaries, patient education guides,
etc., may also be found in the W, WY, and QV call numbers sections. Books are shelved in Library of Congress (LC) call number order, so similar subjects will
be shelved next to each other.
- QV — pharmacology
- WY— most nursing books
- W's — other medical materials
- WS — pediatrics
See ORU Modified Library of Congress Outline.
Use the Table of Contents and Index(es)
to find your topic or subject in the book and to see how it relates to other topics.
To find specific reference titles, use the Library catalog and limit your
results to "Reference Collection."
Reference books cannot be checked out; however, some titles may have a duplicate in the main collection that is available for
checkout. Search the title you need in the library catalog to see if the book is located elsewhere in the library and available for checkout.
View a List of Selected Reference Books
- Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements — WY85 C669 LRC-R
- The Encyclopedia of Aging: A Comprehensive Resource in Gerontology and
Geriatrics — WT13 E56 LRC-R
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine — WB100 H322P LRC-R
- The Harvard Guide to Women's Health — WA309 C284H LRC-R
- Health Assessment in Nursing — WY100.4 W374H LRC-R
- Hospital Blue Book — WX22 AA1H8285
- The Human Body: An Illustrated Guide to Its Structure, Function, and Disorders — QT104 H918 LRC-R
- The Little Black Book of Emergency Medicine — WB 39D542L LRC-R
- Medical Terms Abbreviations
— W15 M489 LRC-R
- The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (18th Edition) — WB100.M54
- Nurse's 3-minute Clinical Reference — WY49 N9748 LRC-R
- Nurse's Drug Handbook — QV39 H688N LRC-R
- Nursing Diagnosis Reference Manual — WY49 R163 LRC-R
- Nursing Documentation Handbook — WY49 M358N LRC-R
- Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC): Iowa Intervention Project — WY15 N974 LRC-R
- Official Guide to Graduate Nursing Schools — W22 AA1 O325 LRC-R
- Patient Care Standards — WY49 P298 LRC-R
- Professional Guide to Diseases — WB39 P964 LRC-R
- Sheehey's Manual of Emergency Care — WX39 S541M
19 full-text ebooks related to nursing
and the nursing profession. More...
To view all ebooks
, with thumbnails, click Books
the top menu bar.
, select Your_Books@Ovid
- ebrary ebooks include
NURSING ~290 ebooks
LIFE SCIENCES~2,800 ebooks
MEDICAL POLICY ~170 ebooks
MEDICINE ~5,670 ebooks
MEDICAL CARE ~435 ebooks
- See other ebrary subjects
- Combine subject and keyword searching to focus your search.
For example, the search below uses subject - decision making and
keyword - nursing.
- Use the call number field to locate books in your subject area.
See Library of Congress Classification Outline, identify a call number sections, and then key in the call numbers in the advanced search for LC Call Number.
- eBook Collection EBSCOhost
HEALTH & MEDICINE ~ 560 ebooks
Library of Congress Classification Outline
For general information on ebooks, such as creating a bookshelf in ebrary, see Find: Books & ebooks.
|Nursing - Periodicals & eJournals
Journals List includes Journals, magazines, trade publications, etc. available at ORU. From the subjects listed, select a specific subject. Then, select a journal title
and follow the links to the full text. Select a subject or do a title search. Or, try a title keyword search.
To access the full text, under the journal title
click a database name that has the date(s) you need. Follow the links to the full text. For example, choose the date and volume/issue or search all issues
of the title.
Title Lists and Periodical Searching
- American Heart Association Journals
- Full text of subscribed-to journals only. To browse by issue and access the full text, click the journal name in the gray title bar and then click the Archives tab.
Title List - Alphabetically
- To view free full text titles mark "Full-text available" then click Apply.
Title List - By Subject
- BioOne - Titles Free on the Web
- Indexing and abstracts available. No full text. More...
the Publications link (shown right), or similar, to
browse and search the selected journals within the database.
For general information see: Find...Periodicals
(Journals, Magazines, etc.)
- Data & Statistics
For tips on retrieving statistical data see the library guide Find Statistics
The official web site of the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics.
- OKDHS (Oklahoma Department of Human Services)
Annual Report: Includes tables, statistics, etc. Call #HV86.O516A LRC-R
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (CDC)
- Statistical Abstracts of the United States
Also available in print, call number HA202.S72 LRC-R
- U.S. Census Bureau
Provides complete statistics. State and local information are available.
EBP Organizations and Databases
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services)
- AGREE (Appraisal of Guidelines Research and Evaluation) Research Trust
- Bandolier - "Evidence based thinking about healthcare"
- CRD Databases - Center for Reviews and Dissemination
Search DARE (Database of Abstracts of Reviews and Dissemination), NHS EED and HTA. Provides access to more than 12,000 abstracts and 12,000 summaries. more
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM)
- Cochrane Collaboration
- Guidelines International Network
- Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement Guidelines (ICSI)
- Joanna Briggs Institute
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
- Oncology Nursing Society: Evidence Based Practice Resource Area (EBPRA)
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO): Nursing Best Practice Guidelines
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN)
- University of Iowa College of Nursing Gerontological Nursing Interventions Research
Center (GNIRC)—Evidence-Based Practice Guidelines
- Other Nursing Sites
- Addiction Search
- AIDS Info
- AHIMA: American Health Information Management Association
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- American Medical Association
- ANA Nursing World
American Nurses Association (ANA) "represents the interests of the nation's 2.7 million registered nurses through its 54 constituent state and territorial associations and
over 150,000 members."
- CAAHEP: Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- Cancer Mortality Maps & Graphs (National Cancer Institute)
- CDC: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Diabetes Dictionary
- Drug Information Portal
"Quick access to over 12,000 selected drugs.""
- Encyclopedia of Psychology
- Food and Drug Administration
- Global Health.gov
- HEAL: Health Education Assets Library
Provides access to tens of thousands of images, video clips, animations, presentations, and audio files that support healthcare education
- Inside Cancer: Multimedia guide to Cancer Biology
- Land of Medical Links by Joe Buenker
- Medical Library Association's Nursing & Allied Health Resources Section
- MEDLINEplus: Drug Information
- Merck & Company: The Merck Manuals
The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (18th edition)
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- National Institutes of Health
- National League for Nursing
- National Library of Medicine
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT)
- Scirus http://scirus.com/
- A comprehensive scientific research tool on the web that indexes and searches over 410 million science-specific Web pages.
- Spirituality, Medicine & Health Bibliography
- State Health Facts Online
Provided by the Kaiser Family Foundation.
|Nursing - OneSearch (the Integrated Search)
Use this integrated search to perform "1-search" to query all ORU information resources. Provided by EBSCOhost.
Perform 1-search that is an integrated search of your selected databases or pre-selected database groups.
1-search of ANY or ALL databases. Simultaneously search all or selected EBSCO and non-EBSCO databases, ORU ebooks, the library catalog, reference collections, and
any or all other ORU databases.
To Search the Nursing, Health & Sports Pre-Selected Database Group: Click the OneSearch link above.
Click Nursing, Health & Sports then mark the check box for that group.
Scroll to view the selected databases.
Click the Continue button and enter your search query.
To Select Your Desired Databases:
Click the OneSearch link above.
Click the Databases A-Z link at the top of the page.
Mark the databases you wish to search.
Click the Continue button and enter your search query.
See the EBSCO Guide - Choosing
|Nursing - Evidenced-Based Care Sheets
Plus "Evidence-Based Care Sheets (EBCS) are summaries on specific key
topics, which are focused on nursing practice. Each evidence-based care sheet incorporates the latest evidence, statistics, research and references on a given topic. The references
are ranked, using a coding matrix, according to the type of literature they represent (systematic reviews, meta-analysis, etc). " EBSCO
Content includes "What
We Know," "What We Can Do," "Coding Matrix,"
can browse the list of Evidence-Based Care Sheets from CINAHL
- Click Evidence-Based Care Sheets in the blue toolbar at the top of the page.
- Type your term, select alphabetical or relevancy ranked list order, and click Browse.
- Browse the list and mark your topic of choice.
- Click Search.
Click the title to view the full record.
|Nursing - Quick Lessons (QL)
Quick Lessons (QL) are clinically organized nursing overviews, with information mapped to the nursing workflow (i.e. description/etiology, signs and symptoms, assessment, treatment
goals, red flags, what to tell the patient/patient’s
You can browse the list of QLs from CINAHL
- Rollover More in the blue toolbar at the top of the page then click Quick Lessons.
- Type your term, select Alphabetical or Relevancy Ranked, then click Browse.
- Mark the topic. Click Search.
|Nursing - Secondary Data Collection
Sample Types of Secondary Data
- Demographics: population, gender, ethnic group, migration trends, urban/rural, age, education level, economic level, geographic data/location
- Health: mortality, immunization rate, health services and access, facility-to-population ratio
When trying to locate secondary data, use relevant terms and search all types of resources. Government and associations or organizations may publish authoritative secondary
data, primary source documents and information in journals and on the Web. For regional data use geographic location(s) in a search, such as Tulsa or Inola.
Sample Types of Resources
Regional Statistics & Data
your concept(s) AND location AND site:.gov
health AND Tulsa AND demographic
Government Agencies, Departments, Bureaus (Publications and Web Sites)
your concept(s) AND demographic AND site:.gov
Organization and Association Web sites
your concept AND statistic AND (association OR organization)
your concept AND demographic AND (association OR organization)
Reference Books and Databases
Technical and Research Reports
In databases and on the Web, to and find a technical report or study on your topic:
Key in your topic(s) and other relevant terms that identify demographic or research results/reports.
your topic AND (report OR study) AND university
your topic AND research AND university
your concept 1 AND your concept 2 AND (study or report)
your topic AND US Dept of Health AND (demographics or statistics)
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/
- American Time Use Survey Charts (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) http://www.cdc.gov/
Fact Sheets | Injury Prevention & Control: Traumatic Brain Injury
- Data and Statistics (USA.gov)
- Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/
- National Center for Health Statistics (CDC-Center for Disease Control) http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) http://www.nih.gov/
Library of Medicine (NLM) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
--NLM: All Fact Sheets by Subject
--NLM: All Fact Sheets Listed Alphabetically
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans (U.S. Department of He lath & Human Services)
- PSID: A National Study of Socioeconomics and Health Over Lifetimes and Across Generations http://psidonline.isr.umich.edu/Guide/FAQ.aspx?Type=2
- QuickFacts (U.S. Census Bureau)
"Quick, easy access to facts about people, business, and geography." http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html
- U.S. Census Bureau (U.S. Dept. of Commerce) http://www.census.gov/
- UNdata (global statistics)
Includes: 1) Databases and tables covering Crime, Education, Energy, Environment, Finance, Food and Agriculture, Health, HIV/AIDS, Human Development, Indication Database, Industry, Population, Refugees, Trade, and more); 2) Updates; and 3) Country data services. More http://data.un.org/
- WebMD http://www.webmd.com/
ORU Databases - General and Subject Specific
Suggested search terms: your demographic, percent, data, statistic*, etc.
Use the subject index or thesaurus to browse
your topic, find related terms and identify terms to narrow and/or expand your topic.
Trade Journals - Specific Titles or Subject Related
Go to the Journals List and type
a subject or keyword to get a list of journals. Select a journal title. Search your topic within a journal. Or, browse the journal table of contents for
reports, surveys and research project.