|Music - Article Databases
Use databases to find articles, essays, book reviews and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Some databases may include books.
- Oxford Music Online
- Biography In Context — Musicians
& Television Literature Index with Full Text
Bibliography of Theater & Dance with Full Text
Subject areas include: cinema, film, music, musicians, opera and more.
± TIP: Use
Music - Subjects & Thesaurus
Subject headings, descriptors and thesauri are "controlled vocabulary." They are lists of pre-defined,
carefully selected words and phrases used to identify and categorize information. A thesaurus, for example, may offer you related subjects, alternative terms,
scope and/or details for topics.
database have several indexes that are specific to the database. Use a thesaurus or other relevant index to narrow your results or combine their use with keyword
searching for more focused results.Oxford
Music Online Subject Entries
Below the Oxford Music Online logo is the browser bar with links to four indexes:
Contents - lists all the articles in the database
- Biographies - lists biographies only
- Subject Entries (circled below) - lists the non-biographical articles only
- Tools & Resources - links to guides, timelines and other research
the index you want to open, and then browse the alphabetical entries.
the Related Content Tab (shown right) to view more information related to the article/topic.
the Thesaurus in an EBSCO database
First, identify all the
major concepts of your thesis or research topic. Second, use the thesaurus to locate, explore and select appropriate
descriptors for each concept of your topic. In
an EBSCO database:
- Click Thesaurus in
the top menu bar.
- Type your term in the Browsing Thesaurus text box and select a browse function, such as Relevancy Ranked.
- Click Browse.
details of a term,
click the term.
- Click the checkbox in front of the terns(s) then click Add to move the thesaurus terms into the search text box. More...
Browse for another descriptor or click search.
Or, try a keyword search, retrieve a record that looks relevant to your
topic, and then note and/or use the subject descriptors for that record. Click on any descriptor for a new search on that subject.
Keyword vs. Subject/Thesaurus Searching
the common keyword search is based on an exact word match, a subject or thesaurus search locates records by assigned subject or descriptors.
with controlled vocabulary allows you to more precisely retrieve relevant information on your topic, illustrates relationship
between related terms and helps you identify synonyms and broader and narrower terms (shown right).
Keyword and controlled vocabulary searching can
be combined. For example, rather than guessing what keywords to use consider doing a thesaurus (controlled vocabulary) search first. Review and
assess your results. Then, add a keyword search to the query or use Search History to combine searches.
Music - Reference Materials
- Credo Reference Center
- Concept Map Examples:
Music Category | music in
All Subjects | opera | women
- Find a Book: All
Subjects (click the Music link in the left sidebar)
- Browse All Topic Pages by Category: Music
of View Reference Center
- Example: music
- To choose topic of interest, on the Points of View Home page,
click the View All Topics tab. Select a topic.
To view the Point and Counterpoint articles, once you have a list of results, click the Points of View tab, if available.
the Library and Timko Barton Listening Room
find titles in the Reference Room or the special Timko Barton music collection, use
the Library catalog and limit your results to Reference Collection or Timko Barton Listening Room.
Books are shelved in Library of Congress (LC) call number order, so similar subjects will be shelved next to each other.
Library of Congress
Call Numbers (partial list)
||Worship (Public and Private)
||Literature of music
||Music instruction and study
Library of Congress Classification Outline — Music
browse relevant call number sections in the reference and Timko Barton collections.
Selected Reference Books
- American Musical Theatre - ML1711.B67, 2010
- Baker's Dictionary of Opera - ML102.O6B26 LRC-R
- The Complete Library of Christian Worship - BV10.2C65 LRC-R
- The Dictionary of Hymnology - BV305.J8 LRC-R
- Encyclopedia of American Gospel Music - ML102.T18
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music - ML105.E52 LRC-R
- Encyclopedia of the Piano - ML102.P5E53 LRC-R
- The Hymn Tune Index- ML128.H8T46 LRC-R
- Hymns and Tunes - BV305.D5 LRC-R
- Index to Poetry in Music - ML460.C35, 2003
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music &
Musicians - ML100.G885 LRC-R (Grove online)
- Oxford Composer Companions: J.S. Bach - ML410.B1J15 LRC-R
Music - ORU ebooks
- ~70,000 academic ebooks from scholarly and professional publishers.
- Music ~730
- Music History
and Criticism ~330 ebooks
Therapy ~ 40 ebooks
the most recently published ebooks to appear at the top of the list change "Sort results by" from Relevance to Date.
- To view the 20 most relevant chapters from your ebooks: do a search then click the Chapter Results tab.
- To browse ebrary titles in a specific call number section (shown below):
Use Advanced search. Change Search in menu
to LC Call Number. Type
the call numbers(see LC outlines). Click Search
It's like browsing virtual ebrary shelves.
- eBook Collection EBSCO — Music
For general information on ebooks see the library guide How to Find Books & ebooks
ORU A-to-Z Journals List (journals, magazines, trade publications, etc.)
In the Journals List, choose a title then follow the links to the full text. After you access the journal title record you have the option to search within all issues of the publication or select
a specific year, volume/issue to browse.
general information see How to Find Periodicals
(Journals, Magazines, etc.)