- ERIC Thesaurus
- Stats & Web
Use databases to find articles, essays, book reviews and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Some databases may include books. Look for citation tools that allow you to copy and paste selected citations. Other special features are noted in the chart below:
- Personal Folder
- Create Notes
- HTML Text-to-Speech
- Optional download
to audio file (MP3)
- Aggregated Search
- Citation/Export tool
See: EBSCO Tutorials
- My Tools
- Article References
- Search History
- Citation/Export Tool
See: SAGE Information & Services (Research tools and journal alerts)
- EagleSearch - The EBSCO Discovery tool that gives you a global view of resources.
- Tutorial flash. Use the advance search to mark selected disciplines.
- TeachingBooks.net Free on the Web
- Provides original, in-studio movies of authors and illustrators (go to Author & Book Resources then Meet-the-Author Movies) and other multimedia resources on K-12 books to support reading and
library activities for all grades and content areas. More
For additional biographical resources see the Biographical Information library guide or search the author in Biography in Context database.
- Google Scholar Open Access
- K-12 Databases
Collection: Nonfiction - Elementary School Edition
Collection: Nonfiction - High School Edition
Collection: Nonfiction - Middle School Edition
- MAS Ultra - School Edition
- Middle Search Plus
- Primary Search
- The following databases are not integrated with other EBSCO databases. Click the database title from the list that come up.
- Kids Search (Specially designed elementary/middle school search interface)
- Searchasaurus - Includes "Teacher Resources." Kid-friendly interface to Primary Search, Middle Search Plus, Encyclopedia of Animals, Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia, American Heritage Children's Dictionary, and an image collection.
- Student Research Center
EBSCO's Aggregated Searching
Library research guide: How to Find periodical Articles
Education - Keywords, Subjects & the ERIC Thesaurus
How to Use the ERIC Thesaurus
Browse the ERIC Thesaurus alphabetically or by category. Read the ERIC FAQs.
As you begin your search, identify all the major concepts of your thesis or research topic. Then, use the ERIC thesaurus to locate, explore and select descriptors for each concept of your topic. A thesaurus will often provide lists of broader, narrower, and related terms.
to Education Source or ERIC EBSCO.
Click Thesaurus in the top menu bar.
Key in your term in the Browsing: Education Thesaurus text box and select a browse function, such as Relevancy Ranked. Click Browse.
Tip: To display details of a term, click the term.
Click the checkbox in front of the term(s) you want to use, and then click Add to move the thesaurus terms into the search text box.
5.Browse for another descriptor to add or click search.
Keyword vs. Subject/Thesaurus Searching
Lists of pre-defined, carefully selected words and phrases used to identify and classify information and define contents of, for example, an article, are called "controlled vocabulary." These include subject headings, descriptors, and the education-related list called the ERIC Thesaurus. Whereas the common keyword search
is based on an exact word match, a subject or thesaurus search locates records by assigned subject or descriptors.
with subject headings can:
• more precisely retrieve relevant information on a topic,
• illustrate relationship between related terms
• and identify synonyms and broader or narrower terms, as shown in the image (click the image for a larger view).
Combine Keyword and controlled vocabulary searches
than guessing what keywords to use, consider doing a thesaurus or controlled vocabulary search first. The controlled vocabulary brings up a list of results that are defined, categorized or identified by the controlled vocabulary term(s).
Review and assess your results. Then, add a keyword to the search or use the Search History to combine searches. In the detailed record for review and note the descriptors for that record. Click on any descriptor to get a new search result list for that subject or thesaurus term.
Education - Reference Materials
Selected eReference Titles
- Credo Reference Center
- Concept Map Example: public
- View title by subject. Select Social Sciences.
Virtual Reference Library: Education
- Keyword search: education (~156,410
Limit search by document type, publication type, or subject.
Or, drill down your results by a "Search within results."
of View Reference Center
- Examples: Education
In the Library, LRC-4th Floor
The print Reference Collection includes subject encyclopedias, specialized dictionaries, handbooks, and similar materials. To find specific reference
titles, use the Library catalog and limit your results to "Reference Collection."
Or, just browse the shelves in the "L" call
number section for education-related reference books. Books are shelved in Library of Congress (LC) call number order, so similar subjects will be shelved
next to each other.
Library of Congress Classification Outline -- Education
books cannot be checked; however, some titles may have a duplicate in the main collection that is available for checkout. Search the title you need in the library catalog to see if the book is located elsewhere in the library and availability for checkout.
Try a keyword or subject search. Once you find a book of interest, click the title to access the detailed record and note the table of contents and/or subject headings for additional terms to search.
ebrary: Education (~2,609 ebooks)
Sample Subject Searches (with links to results)
Conduct of Life ~100 ebooks
Early Childhood Education ~60 ebooks
Universities and Colleges 140+ ebooks
- For the most recently published ebooks to appear at the top of the list change "Sort results by" from Relevance to Date.
- To view the 20 most relevant chapters from your ebooks: do a search then click the Chapter Results tab.
- To browse ebrary titles in a specific call number section (shown below):
Use Advanced search. Change Search in menu to LC Call Number. Type
the call numbers(see LC outlines). Click Search
It's like browsing virtual ebrary shelves.
- eBook Collection: Education (330+ ebooks) EBSCO More...
- Restricts full text to 1-5 simultaneous readers. Free downloads. See the Help pages and Downloading eBooks Tutorial.
- Library research guide: How to find... Books & eBooks
If your professor recommends a journal, check the A-to-Z Journals List to see if the journal is available in
the library, either online or in-house. You may find titles free online such as Leadership Journal and Christianity Today International.
- A-to-Z Journals List: Education (~1,559 journal titles)
(Choose a subject > select a title > follow the links to full text.)
- A-to-Z Journals List, title keyword search: education (~988
- Free on the Web
Available in hard
copy (print) in the periodicals area, LRC-4th floor. Selected articles are also available on the web. Note that "Articles are gradually posted
on the website over time, and some articles appear only in print."http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/
- To browse online
--Go to Leadership Journal.net.
--Select a topic in the left menu or just click go.
To search online issues:
--Go to Leadership Journal.net
--Type your key concepts.
--From the drop menu, if not selected, choose Leadership Journal.net then click go.
- Library research guide: How to find... Periodicals (Journals, Magazines, etc.)
Education - Statistics & Selected Websites
- ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) on YouTube
- USEDGov on YouTube
Center for Education Statistics (ies, Institute of Education Sciences)
"The primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education."
- Provides "a comprehensive overview and analysis of the state of education in the US and comparisons to other countries." Includes:
• Publications & Products Search
• Digest of Education Statistics - Statistics
covering American education, kindergarten - graduate school. 400+ tables from many sources, both government and private.
• Education Statistics Quarterly, free full text online. Free copies can be
• Fast Facts
- • International Data Table Library
- • Projections of Education Statistics to 2018
- ChildStats.gov http://www.childstats.gov/
- Official site of the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics.
Memos on Measures of Social-Emotional Development in Early Childhood, by Subdomain PDF
- Education Publications (ED Pubs) http://www.edpubs.gov/ (Dept. of Education)
- 6,000+ free titles (brochures, posters, research reports, videotapes and more)
ED Pubs: Top 10 Publications
- The Gallup Organization http://www.gallup.com
- Polls on social issues, ethics, values, etc. Try a general search for education.
- Statistical Abstract 2012: Education http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/education.html
- Statistical Abstract of the U.S., Education PDF Report (52 pp.) ProQuest
- U.S. Census Bureau http://www.census.gov/
- • About School Enrollment
• American FactFinder
• Education Topics
• Educational Attainment in United States: 2010 - Detailed
• Newsroom: Kindergarten in America, Chris
• Newsroom: News Releases
- UNESCO's Institute for Statistics: Education Data (United
Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture) http://www.uis.unesco.org/
- Fact Sheets: Education
- Library research guide: How to find... Statistics
Click the to link to the vendor's database descriptions.