- Stats & Web
Use databases to find scholarly articles, essays, book reviews, videos, trade publications and more. Look for citation tools that allow you to copy/paste/edit or export your selected citations. Other special features may include personal storage and management tools, permalinks, text-to-speech function, aggregated searching and more.
- EagleSearch - Searches multiple databases across formats and media. Use the advance search to mark selected disciplines. See EBSCO's Tutorial flash.
View EBSCO Tutorial
- Explora Educator's Edition
- Teacher resources such as student tools, curriculum standards, and research starting points for topics of interest to educators.
- TeachingBooks.net Free on the Web
- Provides original, in-studio movies of authors and illustrators (go to Author & Book Resources then Meet-the-Author Movies) and other multimedia resources on K-12 books to support reading and
library activities for all grades and content areas. More
For additional biographical resources see the Biographical Information library guide or search the author in Biography in Context database.
- Google Scholar - Peer-reviewed articles; some indexing, some free full text. In "settings," select "Library links" and key in, or select, Oral Roberts University Library to include E-resources @Oral Roberts.
- K-12 Databases
Collection: Nonfiction - Elementary School Edition
Collection: Nonfiction - High School Edition
Collection: Nonfiction - Middle School Edition
- Explora Elementary Student Research
- Explora Middle School Student Research
- Kids Search (Specially designed elementary/middle school search interface)
- MAS Ultra - School Edition
- Middle Search Plus
- Primary Search
- Includes "Teacher Resources." Kid-friendly interface to Primary Search, Middle Search Plus, Encyclopedia of Animals, Funk & Wagnall's New World Encyclopedia, American Heritage Children's Dictionary, and an image collection.
- Student Research Center
EBSCO's Aggregated Searching
Library research guide: How to Find periodical Articles
What is the ERIC Thesaurus? Why Use it?
Lists of pre-defined, carefully selected words and phrases used to identify and classify information or define contents of, for example, an article, are called "controlled vocabulary." These include subject headings, descriptors, and the education-related list called the ERIC Thesaurus.
Whereas the common keyword search
is based on an exact word match, a subject or thesaurus search locates records by assigned subject or descriptors. Using controlled vocabulary in a search brings up results that are defined, categorized or identified by the controlled vocabulary term(s). So, rather
than guessing what keywords to use, consider using controlled vocabulary, such as the ERIC Thesaurus to:
- more precisely retrieve relevant information on a topic,
- illustrate relationship between related terms,
- and identify synonyms and broader or narrower terms.
How to Use the ERIC Thesaurus
ORU Education databases use the ERIC Thesaurus and an online ERIC Thesaurus is also available to view terms alphabetically or by category. Read the ERIC FAQs. which allows you to browse subject terms assigned to items in the database
As you begin your search, identify major concepts of your thesis or research topic. Then, use the ERIC thesaurus to browse and explore subject terms for each concept of your topic. A thesaurus will often provide lists of broader, narrower, and related terms.
to Education Source or ERIC database.
- Click Thesaurus in the top menu bar.
- Key in your term in the Browsing: Education Source - Thesaurus text box and select a browse function, such as Relevancy Ranked. Click Browse.
Tip: To explode a term and display details, click the term.
- Mark the checkbox(es) in front of the term(s) you want to use, then click Add to move the thesaurus terms into the search text box at the top of the page.
- Browse for another descriptor to add or click search.
- Combine keyword and ERIC thesaurus searches.
- Use the Search History to combine searches.
- Select a relevant article then click on a listed subject or thesaurus term for that article to get a new search result list for your selected term.
- Use quotes to search phrases.
Education - Reference Materials
Selected eReference Titles
- Credo Reference Center
View titles by subject.
Virtual Reference Library: Education
- Keyword search: education (~156,410
Limit search by document type, publication type, or subject.
Or, drill down your results by a "Search within results."
of View Reference Center
- Example: Education
The Library Reference Collection, LRC-4th Floor
The print reference collection includes subject encyclopedias, specialized dictionaries, handbooks, and similar materials. To find specific reference
titles, use the Library catalog and limit the results to "Reference Collection." Or, just browse the shelves in the "L" call
number section for education-related reference books. Books are shelved in Library of Congress (LC) call number order, so similar subjects will be shelved
next to each other.
See: Library of Congress Classification Outline -- Education.
books cannot be checked; however, some titles may have a duplicate in the main collection that is available for checkout. Search the title you need in the library catalog to see if the book is located elsewhere in the library and available for checkout.
Try a keyword or subject search. Once you find a book of interest, click the title to access the detailed record and note the table of contents and/or subject headings for additional terms to search.
ebrary: Education (~2,609 ebooks)
Sample Subject Searches (with links to results)
Conduct of Life ~100 ebooks
Early Childhood Education ~60 ebooks
Universities and Colleges 140+ ebooks
- For the most recently published ebooks to appear at the top of the list change "Sort results by" from Relevance to Date.
- To view the 20 most relevant chapters from your ebooks: do a search then click the Chapter Results tab.
- To browse ebrary titles in a specific call number section (shown below):
Use Advanced search. Change Search in menu to LC Call Number. Type
the call numbers(see LC outlines). Click Search
It's like browsing virtual ebrary shelves.
- eBook Collection: Education (330+ ebooks) EBSCO More...
- Restricts full text to 1-5 simultaneous readers. Free downloads. See the Help pages and Downloading eBooks Tutorial.
- Library research guide: How to find... Books & eBooks
Use the Publication Finder to find available publications. Try an exact title search or browse by discipline. Example:
Education (~2,723 journal titles)
Sample Academic Titles:
Sample Trade Publications:
Some titles, such as Leadership
Journal, by Christianity Today, are available open access online and in hard
copy (print) in the periodicals area, LRC-4th floor. To browse the online issue, go to Leadership Journal.net and select a topic in the left menu or just click go. To search, key in your concepts then, from the drop menu if not selected, choose Leadership Journal.net and click go.
View issue table of contents and some PDF Web exclusives.
- See: How to find... Periodicals (Journals, Magazines, etc.)
Education - Statistics & Selected Websites
- ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) on YouTube
- USEDGov on YouTube
Center for Education Statistics (ies, Institute of Education Sciences)
"The primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education."
- Provides "a comprehensive overview and analysis of the state of education in the US and comparisons to other countries." Includes:
• Publications & Products Search
• Digest of Education Statistics - Statistics
covering American education, kindergarten - graduate school. 400+ tables from many sources, both government and private.
• Education Statistics Quarterly, free full text online. Free copies can be
• Fast Facts
- • International Data Table Library
- • Projections of Education Statistics to 2018
- ChildStats.gov http://www.childstats.gov/
- Official site of the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics.
Memos on Measures of Social-Emotional Development in Early Childhood, by Subdomain PDF
- Education Publications (ED Pubs) http://www.edpubs.gov/ (Dept. of Education)
- 6,000+ free titles (brochures, posters, research reports, videotapes and more)
ED Pubs: Top 10 Publications
- The Gallup Organization http://www.gallup.com
- Polls on social issues, ethics, values, etc. Try a general search for education.
- Statistical Abstract 2012: Education http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/education.html
- Statistical Abstract of the U.S., Education PDF Report (52 pp.) ProQuest
- U.S. Census Bureau http://www.census.gov/
- • About School Enrollment
• American FactFinder
• Education Topics
• Educational Attainment in United States: 2010 - Detailed
• Newsroom: Kindergarten in America, Chris
• Newsroom: News Releases
- UNESCO's Institute for Statistics: Education Data (United
Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture) http://www.uis.unesco.org/
- Fact Sheets: Education
- Library research guide: How to find... Statistics
Click the to link to the vendor's database descriptions.