- Museums/ Web
|Art - Finding Journal Articles and Citations
General instruction for locating periodical articles is provided in the "How to Find Articles" research
guide. The following information is specific to the topic of Art.
To add additional subjects to the "ART" results linked below or
to change the subjects, in each database use the Subject Terms, Thesaurus or More>Indexes links in the top menu bar. Then search your broad topic and
drill down through available subjects.
Search Complete: ART (22,600+ results)
- To Select and Use Subject Terms for Art (shown right): Click Subject Terms in the top menu. Type art in the Browsing text
box, choose Relevancy Ranked, and then click Browse. From the list of subject terms, click 'Art' to view hundreds of narrower terms.
Review and mark the checkboxes that identify your topic(s). Click the Add button to add the subjects in the search text box. Click Search.
History and Life with Full Text: ART (4,500+ results)
Sample Subject Heading: Art--History, Art & History, Arts--United States
in Context: ARTISTS, ARTISTIC DIRECTOR, ART MUSEUM CURATOR...
- (~4,340 entries for art/artist topic) Browse
- Google Scholar Free on the Web
- Peer-reviewed articles; some indexing, some free full text; links to ORU database articles
Abstracts with Full Text: ART (5,100+ results)
International Complete: ART (nearly 15,000 results)
Subject Terms: Click the Thesaurus in the top menu. Type "art" in
the browsing text box. Review and select from hundreds of narrower, broader, and related "art" terms.
|Art - Finding Reference Materials
- CQ Researcher:
Arts Education: Does arts training improve social and academic skills?
- Credo Reference: Topic Pages for Art
- · View Theatre concept
· View Renaissance concept
- Gale Virtual Reference Library: Arts
of View Reference Center: Arts
& Culture counterpoint
In the Library
Try a subject search for "art,"
similar subjects, in the library catalog, and then browse and select subjects of interest to you.
Browse the Reference Collection, LRC-4th floor.
Most art books are found in the N call number section.
|Library of Congress Call Numbers and Subject Headings for Art
|Visual Art (general)
N 5300 - N 5700
|Drawing (design, advertising, cartoons, posters)
|Print Media (woodcuts, lithography, engravings)
NK 3700 - NK 4695
|Ceramics, Pottery, Porcelain
|Arts in Combination
|1998 Films as Art
TP 700's, 800's
To find specific reference titles, use the Library catalog and limit your results
to "Reference Collection." Once you find a book, use the Table of Contents and Index(es) to find your topic or subject in the book and to see
how it relates to other topics.
Reference books cannot be checked out; however, some titles may have a duplicate in the main collection that is available
for checkout. Search the title you need in the library catalog to see if the book is located elsewhere in the library and available for checkout. Books
are shelved in Library of Congress (LC) call number order, so similar subjects will be shelved next to each other.
View a Sample List of Books in the Reference Collection
- American Art: History, Reference and Culture- N6505.C7 LRC-R
- The Biographical Directory of Native American Painters -N6536.L47 LRC-R
- The Bulfinch Guide to Art History- N380.B78 LRC-R
- Calendar of Creative Man - NX447.5.P38 LRC-R
- Dictionary of Abstract Painting - ND35.B4 LRC-R
- Dictionary of Modern Painting - ND30.D515 LRC-R
- A Dictionary of Symbols - BF1623.S9C513 LRC-R
- Dictionary of Symbols - BL603.L5413 LRC-R
- Encyclopedia of Comparative Iconography - N7560.E53 LRC-R
- Encyclopedia of World Art- N31.E4833 LRC-R
- Index to Reproductions of American Paintings - ND205.S575 LRC-R
- The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols - P99.B78 LRC-R
- International Dictionary of Art and Artists - N7425.I67 LRC-R
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Art - N33.M23 LRC-R
- The Oxford Companion to Christian Art and Architecture-N7830.M87 LRC-R
- The Oxford Dictionary of Art - N33.O93 LRC-R
- Praeger Encyclopedia of Art - N33.P68 LRC-R
- Who’s Who in American Art - N6536.W5 LRC-R
See also: Library of Congress Classification
Outline: Class N - Fine Art or the ORU Modified LC Outline
General instruction for locating ebooks is provided in the "How to Find Books & eBooks" research guide. The
following information is specific to the topic of Art.
- ebrary: Drawing, Design, Illustration ~94
ebrary: Fine Arts ~1,661
Technology and the Arts ~6 ebooks
ebrary: Visual Arts ~494
- For a list of books on your desired
subject, use the All Subjects link and drill down through the subjects.
- To browse ebook titles in a specific call number section (shown right):
Use Advanced search. Change Search in menu to LC Call Number. Type
the call numbers (see LC outlines). Click Search
- To view the 20 most relevant chapters from your result list: Do a search. When you have a list of results, click the Chapter
- Combine keyword and subject searching to focus your results.
Collection: Arts & Architecture ~194 ebooks
|Art - Finding Journals and Periodicals
General instruction for locating periodical articles is provided in the "How to Find Periodicals" research guide. The
following information is specific to the topic of Art.
- The ORU A-to-Z Journals List includes
journals, magazines, trade publications, etc. available at ORU. Try a title keyword search or use the Subjects link to drill down through the subjects.
- To access the journal full text, click a database link below the journal title and follow the links to the full text.
- A-to-Z: Fine Arts ~537
Architecture ~69 periodical titles
A-to-Z: Drawing, Design, Illustration ~22 periodical titles
- Sample Journal Titles
of Postmodern Cultural Sound, Text and Image
- National Museum of American Illustration
- NYPL Digital Collections Callery website (New York public Library)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Vatican Museums
- WebMuseum: Famous Artworks Exhibition
- Photosynth (Microsoft)
3D views of museums, collections, historical places, parks, towers, bridges, and more.
& Architecture Thesaurus Online (The Getty Research Institute)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Art Images for College Teachers (AICT) by Allan T. Kohl
- Art categories include Ancient, Medieval Era, Renaissance &
Baroque, and more.
- Art Online: The Fine Art Directory
- Art on the Net
- The site represents 100+ artists from around the world. Includes performance artists, poets, musicians, painters, sculptors, digital artists, animators
- Coleccion Cisneros.org
- A Program of the Foundation Cisneros. Explores the modern art of Latin America.
- Cyburbia: Internet Resources for the Built Environment
A large selection of Internet resources on architecture and other topics. Provided by Urban Insight and University of Buffalo School of Architecture
- Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture
Focuses on early American decorative arts and contains primary resource documents, image collections, virtual exhibits and more.
- FindArticles.com: Arts & Entertainment
Browse full text articles in Art in America, Art Journal, Art Forum and more.
- LACMA Collections Online (Los Angeles County Museum of Art Collection)
Includes more than 66,800 artworks organized by artists, centers, department, special holdings and online exhibitions.
- National Gallery of Art (Washington D.C.)
- Photo Study Collection Database
- Photographic Libraries
- Timeline of Art History (from the Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Web Gallery of Art
Contains more than "13,900 digital reproductions of European paintings and sculptures created between the years 1150 and 1800."
Includes biographies of significant artists, guided tours, and more.
- WebMuseum, Paris: Impressionism
- World Art Treasures
Includes a slide library with
"100,000 slides belonging to the Jacques-Edouard Berger Foundation," with themes of main civilizations, such as Egypt, China, Japan, India,
and Europe. Contains audio's, essays, and more.
Click the to link to the vendor's database descriptions.
|OneSearch - The EBSCO Integrated Search Interface