- Subject Search
Church History - Article Databases
Use ORU databases to find articles, essays, book reviews, conference papers and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Use the Subject field to
locate relevant articles.
- Academic Search Complete
History and Life with Full Text
- ATLA Religion
Database with ATLASerials
- Try this: Click Indexes in top menu bar. For Browse an Index choose Subjects All. Key in a term, such as church history, then mark relevant terms. Click Add then Search.
Periodical and Literature Index
- Google Scholar Free on the Web
Abstracts with Full Text
- Political Science
Library research guide: How to find... Articles.
Church History - Subjects, Thesaurus, etc.
- Choose a database.
ATLA Religion Database
America: History & Life
- Access and select the controlled vocabulary.
In a database, when available, click the Subject
or More>Indexes links in the top menu bar.
- Key in your term.
In the Browsing text box key in your topic, such as Church History,
try Relevancy Ranked for the option, and then click Browse.
- Select your terms.
From the list of displayed subjects, click a term to display the details or drill down through available subject. Mark the checkboxes for terms that identify your topic then click the Add button, which will move your selected subject terms into the searching text box at the top of the page.
- Search, evaluate and edit.
Tutorials: ATLA: Searching Subject Headings for Sacred Texts of World Religions (3
Try this: Go to ATLA Religion
Database. Click Indexes in top menu bar. For Browse an Index choose Subjects All. Key in a term, such as church history, then mark relevant terms. Click Add then Search.
- Some databases have unique features such as the CLIO Notes in America: History & Life.
History and Life with Full Text
"CLIO Notes on America: History & Life guide you through subjects in United States history, by allowing you to browse through chronologies and brief summaries of significant events and themes in American history. On the main screen, you will find a list of major time periods and events. Each of these is further divided into subtopics that display informative essays and suggestions for further research. Linked subject terms are also provided, which allow you to search the entire America: History and Life database for articles, book and media reviews, and dissertations." --EBSCO
Try this: Go to the database. Click CLIO Notes (top menu bar) > The Road to Revolution > Colonial Religions > The Great Awakening
American Christianity - Reference Materials
- eReference Collections
Reference books provide objective background information, quick facts, statistics, biographies,
- Concept Map Examples - Cultures | American
Topic Pages Examples - Culture | Christianity
- Sample Title - Contemporary
Youth Culture: An International Encyclopedia
- GVRL (Gale Virtual Reference
- Browse titles for the subjects of Religion and History.
- Includes subject encyclopedias and dictionaries such as:
Encyclopedia of World Cultures
the Library, LRC-4th Floor
For general information, use a subject encyclopedia or dictionary to look up a religion, movement, or country.
Get background information on politics, cultural and social environment, education, religion, etc. Although you cannot include general encyclopedias in a bibliography
they may be helpful as a preliminary source.
To find reference titles, use the Library
catalog, enter your keywords, and limit your results to "Reference Collection."
Christian Encyclopedia: A Comparative Study of Churches -- BR157.W67
What are the call number sections relevant to your
See the Library
of Congress Classification Outline and drill down to your subject.
See also: the ORU Modified LC Outline
Use call numbers to identify areas to browse in the reference collection and for searching the ebrary database.
books cannot be checked; however, some titles may have a duplicate in the main collection that is available for checkout. Search the title you need
in the library catalog to see if the book is located elsewhere in the library and availability for checkout.
American Christianity - ebooks
- Use the subject list links below to browse or get started in ebrary. For relevant results try a keyword search with a subject.
- Examples of ebook Subjects
- Christianity and Culture titles ~59 ebooks
- Church History Titles ~230 ebooks
- Religion Titles 2,100+ ebooks
ebrary TIPS: ebrary
Call Number Sections | Chapter Results tab
Browse ebook titles in a specific call number section
Use Advanced search.
Change Search in
menu to LC Call Number.
the call numbers (see LC outlines
It's like browsing virtual ebrary shelves.
View the 20 most relevant chapters from your ebooks result list,
Do a search.
When you have a list of results, click the Chapter Results tab.
- eBook Collection
- 9,600+ full-text ebooks in all disciplines. Free downloads. Restricts
full text to 1-5 simultaneous readers. Help pages | Downloading
eBooks Tutorial. EBSCO More...
Library research guide: How to find... Books & ebooks
American Christianity - Periodicals & eJournals
- A-to-Z Journals List (journals, magazines, trade publications, etc.)
- Try a title key word search, find an interesting journal title and browse an issue for topic ideas.
- Sample Titles by Subject
- History: America ~1,102
See additional subject categories for Philosophy,
Psychology and Religion. (Choose a subject > select a title > follow the links to full text)
Sample Journal titles
Use the links below to access the detailed journal record. Then, drill down to a year/issue to browse or use "search within this publication" to search all issues for your topic.
History (1990-2008; title changed to Christian History & Biography in 2004)
- Church and State (1993 to present)
- Church History (1993-present)
- Church History and Religious Culture (2006 to present; embargo: 1 year)
- Journal of Religious History (1998-present; embargo: 1 year)
- TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism (2000
to present) - an electronic journal dedicated to the study of the Jewish and Christian biblical texts.
- Library research guide: How to find... Periodicals (Journals, Magazines, etc.)
American Christianity - Websites
- The Church in the Southern Black Community, 1780-1925 (Library
"...traces how Southern African Americans experienced and transformed Protestant Christianity into the central institution of community life." Search by keyword or browse
the subject, author and titles indexes.
- Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Library
of Congress) -
- Ministry Watch
- Provides ministry organization details, purpose, history, program accomplishments, statement of faith and more.
- Includes: 1) Databases and tables covering Crime, Education, Energy, Environment, Finance, Food and Agriculture, Health, HIV/AIDS, Human Development, Indication Database,
Industry, Population, Refugees, Trade, and more); 2) Updates; and 3) Country data services. More
- The World Factbook
- U.S. Central Intelligence Agency "provides information on the
history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities."
- Subject Directories and Portals
- BUBL: Religion
- Religious Studies Web Guide: Religious Group/Subject (by Saundra Lipton)
- Wabash Center: Internet Guide to Religion
Browse Subject Headings by "Aspects of religion" or "Religions--by faith traditions, geographical areas, or people groups."
= vendor's database description